Looking for a way to transport your breastmilk to & from work? Going on a trip and don’t know how to carry breast milk safely? As a mom who breastfed her kids, one of the most important things for me was to store my liquid gold.
Traveling around with breast milk is a lot easier than you think – all you need is the right information. Here are 7 of the best cooler for breastmilk that will make your life heaven!
- 1 Best Cooler for Breast Milk for 2021 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
- 1.1 1. Sarah Wells Cold Gold Breastmilk Cooler Bag
- 1.2 2. PackIt Freezable Baby Bottle Cooler
- 1.3 3. J.L. Childress MaxiCOOL Breastmilk Cooler
- 1.4 4. Skip Hop Insulated Breastmilk Cooler
- 1.5 5. Medela Breast Milk Cooler and Transport Set – Best All-in-One Cooler Set
- 1.6 6. Disney Baby J.L. Childress MaxiCOOL Breastmilk Cooler – Best Themed Cooler
- 1.7 7. CleverMade Breastmilk Cooler Bag – Best Stylish Breast Milk Cooler
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Conclusion
Best Cooler for Breast Milk for 2021 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
The products that we have selected in this guide are based on my experience with breast milk coolers throughout my own breastfeeding journey. Since I speak from experience, the coolers in this list are perfect for moms on the go!
1. Sarah Wells Cold Gold Breastmilk Cooler Bag
- Various Colors
- Detachable Handle
- Easy to Clean Nylon
- Photo ID Sleeve
From breast pump bags to breast milk coolers, Sarah Wells is a popular brand for moms. With this Sarah Wells Cold Gold Breastmilk Cooler bag, you get both functionality & style. This cooler keeps the milk cold for about 8 hours.
However, what I learned after using the cooler was that the cooling time depends on external factors as well. In this cooler, you can easily fit four bottles (8 oz.) and you will still have space for additional packs to keep the milk cold longer.
There were complaints about the ice pack from several users. As a result, they have released a new, improved version. Moreover, the cooler bag has a lifetime warranty which ensures that if you face any issues, Sarah Wells customer reps will be there to help!
Having gone through the breastfeeding journey herself, Sarah Wells has created an amazing cooler bag, which I loved using and hope you will too.
- Different colors and prints are available.
- It has ample storage space and you can keep four 8 oz. bottles easily.
- The cooler bag comes with a new & improved ice pack.
- You get a lifetime warranty with this cooler bag.
- For easy transport, it comes with a buckle.
- The ice pack is BPA-free.
- There are no additional pockets.
- You can only use this with an ice pack, and can’t use ice cubes.
2. PackIt Freezable Baby Bottle Cooler
- Fully- Freezable
- Black & White
- Material: Fabric
- BPA Free
- Designed by Moms
Our premium pick is the first-fully freezable breast milk cooler. You don’t have to keep ice packs in the cooler to keep the milk cold. The reason why I chose this cooler for myself was its unique cooling design.
It comes with a non-toxic, built-in freezable gel in the walls of the bag. It’s perfect for us moms who have so many things to juggle and tend to forget to freeze the ice pack. Wondering how to use it?
It’s really simple! Just fold the PackIt Cooler flat and keep it in the freezer for 12 hours. The walls will freeze completely and the cooler will be good to go for the next several hours! Since the cooler is designed by moms, you can rest assured that all your needs will be taken care of.
This cooler is spacious, and can easily hold four bottles (5 oz.). Want to free up more space? You can fold down the freezable divider inside the cooler and create space for larger bottles. It has a zippered closure that locks in the cool, dry air.
- It is the first-fully freezable breast milk cooler.
- You don’t have to waste money on ice packs.
- It is a soft-sided cooler that has been designed by moms.
- You can clean the interior with the help of wipes.
- This cooler is BPA and Phthalate free.
- The section divider isn’t fixable so if you are using it, you need to fill it completely.
- As the cooler defrosts, condensation starts to form around it.
3. J.L. Childress MaxiCOOL Breastmilk Cooler
- Ice Pack Included
- Color: Gray/Teal
- Leak-Proof Lining
- Snap Handle
Who doesn’t like an affordable yet functional product, right? The reason I like J.L. Childress MaxiCOOL Breast Milk Cooler is its affordable price. It delivers excellent value to its users and you will like using it.
This is the cooler I used for a while I was breastfeeding. It is my favorite based on the features, price, size, and storage. The cooler is spacious and can easily hold four tall bottles (9 oz.) easily.
If you are using wide-body milk bottles, then you can store three of them in this cooler. With a heat-sealed interior lining, the cooler prevents leaks and easily pulls up for quick cleaning. Moreover, you don’t have to buy a separate ice pack as you get an 8 oz. reusable ice pack with the cooler.
What I really like about this cooler is that it comes with a heavy-duty handle snap that you easily attach to the stroller or the diaper bag.
- It has a heat-sealed interior lining.
- The cooler comes with a reusable ice pack.
- You can store milk in it all day long (up to 8 hours) without worrying about the milk going bad.
- The convenient front pocket gives you additional storage.
- This cooler has two insulated compartments.
- The handle is not that long.
- The bottom is not flat so the cooler bag tips over easily.
4. Skip Hop Insulated Breastmilk Cooler
- Black Color
- Wipeable Lining
- High-Quality Polyester
Another excellent pick is the Skip Hop Insulated Breast Milk Cooler, which is very popular amongst moms since it is versatile. Unlike the Medela Breast Milk Cooler, you can place milk bottles of varying sizes in this cooler.
Even though it doesn’t have a lot of space for multiple bottles and you can keep only two milk bottles in it, it is perfect for daycare, work, or when you are running errands. The cooler has a dual two-way zipper which allows you to access the milk bottles easily.
If you want to keep the breast milk cold for longer, you will have to keep an additional icepack in it, though. What I don’t like about this bag is that it isn’t waterproof. It does have a wipeable lining though so you can clean the inside of the insulated cooler bag with a wipe.
It has a mesh pocket in which you can keep the freezer pack. The cooler bag has a practical design and has an adjustable strap that you can attach to your baby’s stroller.
- There is an interior mesh pocket.
- The cooler bag has a handle with a buckle, making it easy to transport.
- The two-way zippers provide easy access to the milk bottles.
- It comes with a freezer pack.
- You can only keep two bottles in this cooler
- It is not waterproof.
5. Medela Breast Milk Cooler and Transport Set – Best All-in-One Cooler Set
- BPA Free Plastic
- Black Color
- Comes with four bottles
Our best all-in-one cooler set is the Medela Breast Milk Cooler which you will absolutely love, especially if you are using a Medela breast pump as well. What I really like about this cooler set is that it comes with everything a breastfeeding mom would need.
You get four milk bottles (5 oz.) with lids, an icepack, as well as a waterproof cooler bag. Whether you are taking milk to the daycare or from home to work, this cooler set is a nice choice. The breast milk bottles are BPA and Phthalate Free.
The reason I stopped using this bag was it doesn’t fit prepared bottles – with nipple and cap. Unlike other coolers on our list, the Medela Breast Milk Cooler has a relatively short cooling time, especially when it comes to areas with hot weather.
If you are at work, with air conditioning, it will last for about 8-9 hours. But in a car that is standing out in the sun, the cooler bag will not be able to keep the bottles cold for more than 4 to 5 hours.
- It is perfect for Medela breast pump users.
- You not only get a cooler bag but bottles & an ice pack as well.
- It works perfectly for short-term travel.
- The bottles are BPA-free.
- The ice pack has a contoured shape, so it fits perfectly around the milk bottles.
- If the temperature is hot, the ice pack will melt pretty quickly.
- The cooler bag has a small carrying strap.
6. Disney Baby J.L. Childress MaxiCOOL Breastmilk Cooler – Best Themed Cooler
- 4 Bottle Breast Milk Cooler
- Color/Design: Grey Mickey & Minnie
- Heat-Sealed Lining
We all grew up watching Disney cartoons and movies, with Mickey & Minnie being a universal favorite. This J.L. Childress breast milk cooler comes with the magic touch of Disney and brings back all those fond childhood memories.
It is a fully insulated back that can hold four 8 oz. milk bottles. The cooler bag features a unique, heat-sealed lining that prevents leaks. The lining is PVC, phthalate, and lead-free is very easy to clean.
Since the cooler bag comes with a reusable ice pack, you won’t have to buy one separately. J.L. Childress sells separate ice packs as well if you want to get an extra one which can definitely come in handy.
The cooler bag has a compact, streamlined design which makes it easy for moms to keep it in backpacks, diaper bags, or any other traveling bags. Want space to keep the bibs for your baby? Well, this cooler bag comes with a spacious front pocket!
- The carry straps can be easily attached to the baby’s stroller.
- It is compact and lightweight.
- The cooler has an insulated lining.
- You get a non-toxic, reusable ice pack as well.
- It keeps the milk cold for at least 8 hours.
- The bag doesn’t have a flat bottom.
7. CleverMade Breastmilk Cooler Bag – Best Stylish Breast Milk Cooler
- Comes with a top handle
- Leather Bag
- Color: Brown
Our last but least pick is the CleverMade Breastmilk Cooler Bag which looks amazing and functions perfectly as well. The vegan leather construction of this cooler tote bag gives it a designer feel as you store your breast milk bottles safe in it.
The insulated lining of this cooler ensures that your milk bottles stay cold for as long as possible. Simply throw a few ice packs inside and you can work all day, worry-free! The top handle carrier makes it very easy for you to carry the cooler bag around.
You can easily wipe down the interior and exterior with the help of wipes, and your cooler bag will be as good as new!
- The vegan leather has a nice texture and beautiful color.
- You can easily wipe the bag down and clean it.
- It easily holds several milk bottles.
- No matter how you use the bag, the zipper stays zipped and doesn’t come undone.
- You can fit this cooler into other bags, purses, etc.
- The cooler comes with a dust cover to keep it safe.
- You can’t keep full-sized bottles upright in the cooler bag.
- The corners are rounded and the zipper catches a bit in the beginning.
When it comes to buying the best coolers for breastmilk, you have to ensure that they are durable, lightweight, insulated, and have ample storage. Let’s take a quick look at the features that a quality breast milk cooler should have.
The first thing that you have to consider is the size. This will depend on your need, such as how many hours you are going to travel or work, how many bottles does your baby go through in that time, etc.
If you have to carry a lot of milk, then you should go with the Sarah Wells cooler while the Medela cooler works well if you are going away for a part of the day.
You will be carrying the cooler bag around for a long time, at least a year so the style is an important consideration as well. There are various styles of cooler bags from tote style to lunch box styles.
The choice is yours but as the most stylish cooler, we will recommend the CleverMade Breastmilk Cooler Bag, with its aesthetic brown leather construction.
The most important thing that I look for when buying the best breastmilk cooler is insulation. The type of insulation you should get depends on the usage. If you are going from home to work, you will not need a lot of insulation.
However, if you are traveling long distances then you need a heavily insulated one, such as the J.L. Childress breast milk cooler.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a breast milk cooler?
Yes, you need a breast milk cooler even if you are not planning on working for the next couple of months. You may have to travel or even go to the park with your young one, so it is always better to keep a breastmilk cooler handy.
How can I use a breast milk cooler?
It is easy to use a breast milk cooler. You will have to either keep ice packs in the bag or freeze it overnight (PackIt Freezable Cooler). Follow the instructions given on the bag, and you will be good to go!
With the help of the best cooler for breastmilk, mothers on the go and working moms will be able to store breast milk for their kids conveniently. We sincerely hope that the list above helped you get the breast milk cooler of your choice.