Last Updated on August 9, 2021
When picking out the best residential ice maker, it helps to know the different options you have. We put together a review of the top-rated models in existence. There is much to learn about ice makers. Read on to find out all there is to know about.
- 1 Best Residential Ice Maker for 2021 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
- 1.1 1. Igloo ICEB33BK Countertop Ice Maker Machine
- 1.2 2. Frigidaire EFIC115 Ice Maker
- 1.3 3. Gastrorag Countertop Ice Maker Machine
- 1.4 4. hOmeLabs Chill Pill Countertop Ice Maker
- 1.5 5. Frigidaire EFIC89 Silver Compact Ice Maker
- 1.6 6. Free Village Portable Ice Maker –Most Innovative
- 1.7 7. IKICH Portable Ice Maker Machine –Most User-Friendly
- 2 Buying Guide for Best Residential Ice Maker
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Conclusion
Best Residential Ice Maker for 2021 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
Before the central part of the review, we created a table outlining the outstanding features of every model. You can take this chance to compare the features to select one that best fits your needs. Also, you can use the table to learn what to expect once you get an ice maker.
1. Igloo ICEB33BK Countertop Ice Maker Machine
- 5-quart water tank
- 2-pound ice bucket capacity
- Control panel
- Transparent lid
- Removable ice basket
If you are looking for a device that will change your ice-making experience at home, this is it. It has some features that we found convenient and valuable in the best residential ice maker. You don’t have to stand for the taste of ice from an ice bucket any longer.
This device allows you to get ice in the amount you desire and not in bits like a silicon square would deliver. It’s all about convenience with this ice maker. It makes plenty of ice for you in a matter of minutes.
One thing that we loved is the fact that it comes in a unique design. You can watch the ice-making process to understand how it works. Then, go ahead and use the water of your choice to make ice using this ice maker.
Also, you will enjoy the fact that it is easy to use. All you have to do is press a few buttons, and you are on your way to making ice. If you are the kind of person who hosts many social gatherings, you will enjoy having this device around.
- It is accessible. You can observe the ice-making process and ice bullets.
- Operating it is pretty straightforward. There is a control panel on it to help you navigate how it’s supposed to work.
- You get to experience white noise from it —the amount of sound it makes like that of a dishwasher.
- A user complained that it broke down too early. A warranty would be a helpful accessory to include in this package.
2. Frigidaire EFIC115 Ice Maker
- Removable ice tray
- Indicator light and alert
- Stainless steel construction
- 5-liter reservoir
- Three ice sizes
The price tag on this ice maker matches its ability when it comes to producing ice. It is one of the fastest working models in our review. This ice maker is so fast that it can make the ice of your choice in a matter of seven minutes. It comes in a high-quality design starting from the fact that it has a stainless steel body. Objects made of this material are easy to clean since you can wipe the dirt away.
Once it forms the ice, you can use an ice pick to reap it, but do so carefully. It produces ice in different sizes. It’s up to you to choose the extent that you feel works best for you. Give it time to make ice in sizes that you would like.
One thing we loved is the fact that it is quiet. It operates in a humming sound, like a dishwasher. This ice maker is an excellent back for when your refrigerator dies. You can take it with you on camping trips with friends to ensure that you have a continuous flow of ice as you enjoy the outdoors.
- It is extra-large. Its size accommodates all your ice-making needs at home.
- There are indicator lights and alerts on this machine to give you updates on its progress.
- You have an easy time cleaning it. It has a stainless steel design which ensures you have an easy time cleaning it.
- There is a hefty price point.
3. Gastrorag Countertop Ice Maker Machine
- 76lb ice storage capacity
- Ice scoop
- Removable ice bin
- 58-gallon water reservoir
- Frost free
We discovered that this is one of the most affordable ice makers available in the market today. Once you activate it, it starts making ice within minutes. Other reviewers around the world highly recommend it.
You will love all the features it comes with that enable you to produce plenty of ice and host a large gathering in your home. We loved the design that allows it to fit in your home perfectly. It is also quite affordable. This quality is one of the main ones that led us to include it in our review.
The trick to getting it to work for you fully as intended is to ensure that you empty the ice into a freezer as soon as you have the ice cubes. It produces minimal sound when working. It is one of those items that you will always be grateful to have at hand.
You can use it when your refrigerator breaks down. It is also quite portable, which means you can use it outdoors. It’s always a cheaper alternative to something like repairing a broken refrigerator.
- It is powerful for its size. It’s pretty tiny but performs beyond its size with the ability to make nine ice cubes in ten minutes.
- The manufacturer gives it an easy-to-use design. All you have to do is add water, press the power button, and set the ice size.
- You can move this ice maker easily. Its weight and size allow you to have the freedom to set it up in any part of your house.
- This model tends to leak. It could cause damage to other equipment on your counter.
4. hOmeLabs Chill Pill Countertop Ice Maker
- 2-liter water reservoir
- Warning lights
- Automatic shut off
- Ice scoop
Another ice maker that you can rely on is the hOmeLabs Chill Pill Countertop Ice Maker. It’s pretty affordable and comes with an array of features that will be highly appreciated. The chill pill title comes from the fact that it makes chewable ice in a shape of a pill.
It is a fascinating, fun way to keep your drinks cold for long. You can fill it with 2.2 liters of water to produce 1.5 pounds of ice at a time. So you can get 1.5 pounds of ice from it at a time if you are planning on making cocktails.
To ensure that you have the best experience using it, ensure that you use the ice the minute you make it. You can store the extra ice cubes in your freezer. Its design is so that it fits on your countertop since it takes up little space.
The reason it can make ice so fast is because it uses an energy-efficient compressor. You can get small or medium-sized ice cubes from it. It is pretty user-friendly since it has warning lights that activate when the ice bucket gets full and when it’s due for a refill.
- This device operates with a high level of efficiency and speed. You can get cylinder ice cubes fast and for immediate use.
- It is portable. You can set it up in any section of your house.
- Using it is a straightforward process. It has an automatic shut-off to save you time and effort.
- It is rather loud, and you cannot use it outside since the ice melts when made out.
5. Frigidaire EFIC89 Silver Compact Ice Maker
- See-through window
- Compressor cooling
- 1,2 kg ice basket
- Two ice sizes
This residential ice maker has all the makings of a high-quality model. We started by noticing that it has a see-through window for you to monitor the ice-making process. You get to learn how the parts inside it function.
It uses a compressor cooling mechanism to make ice for you. It is one of the most efficient models available, not to mention affordable. You will enjoy the fact that it is user-friendly. It comes with a series of features that you will enjoy using.
You can get it when you have a family gathering and ice is on demand. It makes ice in less than six minutes. It is suitable for residential use since it produces minimal noise, so you don’t have to worry about bothering your neighbors.
The most significant advantage of using this cooler is the fact that it does not use chemical refrigerants. You can use it on days when you want to save electricity or space in your freezer. Cleaning is also a straightforward process since all you have to do is unplug the drain and clean the ice maker quickly.
- It works fast. It will have your ice ready in a matter of minutes, fifteen minutes at a maximum.
- You have an easy time cleaning this model. It has a drain plug that lets you drain this device safely and quickly.
- It allows you to keep an eye on its functionality since it has a see-through window.
- When draining the water from the machine, some deposits at the bottom are hard to reach.
6. Free Village Portable Ice Maker –Most Innovative
- HZB-12/C compressor
- Self-cleaning function
- Bullet shape ice
- Translucent window
- 7 liters water capacity
This ice maker has unique features that allow the user to have the best experience when using it. It operates quietly, producing less than 45 decibels of noise. This property will enable you to use it at any time of day, even at night when all you want is some peace.
It makes an excellent substitute for a refrigerator since it consumes minimal power. In addition, this model has plenty of features, making it one of the most innovative models we came across. For instance, it also has a fan that works to dissipate the heat from the compressor. It is also self-cleaning, which is button-activated.
- The maintenance process is straightforward. It has a self-cleaning mechanism activated at the push of a button.
- This model offers high efficiency and operates quietly. Compared to some other models, it emits minimal noise when working.
- It is versatile. It can produce ice in two different sizes to choose the kind that fits your needs the most at a time.
- Its price is a bit higher than that of other devices like it.
7. IKICH Portable Ice Maker Machine –Most User-Friendly
- Bullet-shaped ice cubes
- Smart indicator
- Ice scoop
- 68oz water reservoir
- Selectable ice basket
IKICH Portable ice maker comes endowed with features that make it highly user-friendly. One thing you can count on with this fresher is that it will deliver results. It takes a maximum of six minutes to create ice cubes.
It also makes a quiet delivery making it quite applicable in a home setup. You can use it to replace traditional ice machines that are bulky and noisy. On it is an intelligent indicator with a control panel that gives you access to the ice-making process.
Also, it has a translucent window that provides a view of the activities inside the ice maker. The manufacturer makes it using food-grade steel to ensure its safety.
- Using this ice maker is simple. It has a control panel and an intelligent indicator.
- The device offers versatility. You have a chance to select the ice cube size you would like.
- It is fast and efficient. It makes ice in six minutes and operates quietly.
- It is not durable. One user complained that it spoilt after a few months of using it.
Buying Guide for Best Residential Ice Maker
Before purchasing the best residential ice maker, there are a few things that you should be on the lookout for. These features ensure that you have the best experience when using your cooler.
Your residential ice maker should have all the features that allow you to identify it. For instance, the design should be in a way that provides mobility. Let’s have a deeper look at what makes an excellent residential ice maker.
Residential ice makers always come in a compact size, which allows them to fit on countertops. Most of them are as big as a toaster oven. Before getting one, ensure that you know the size of the space you plan on placing yours.
From that, you can see if you will have to move it around a bit for it to find space to fit it. While at it, it is essential to note that some small ice makers function more efficiently than big ones.
When it comes to speed, the demand for ice will guide you. There are ice makers that can make ice in a matter of minutes. That way, you don’t have to rush back and forth trying to look for alternatives to make your ice faster. Go for a machine that can make ice faster to help you keep up with the mood at the party.
Ice Storage Capacity
It is an inconvenience when you have an ice maker that makes ice faster but lacks sufficient storage capacity. With such an ice maker, you will have to keep emptying it into a separate container. Some people are ready to work with this. If you can’t, then getting an ice maker with a large storage capacity might be what you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do residential ice makers keep ice frozen?
Often, you will hear residential ice maker owners complain that their ice makers cannot keep ice in its state. Ice melts eventually melt in residential ice makers because they don’t have a freezer compartment.
How much electricity do residential ice makers consume?
Different ice makers consume different amounts of electricity. However, residential ice makers generally consume little power. The amount of work that your ice maker has to do determines the amount of energy it will consume.
How do residential ice makers work?
Once you fill your ice maker with water, it goes into the molds for the ice formation process to start. Most models can monitor the activity to alert you when the ice is ready for collecting. Next, the ice gathers in the storage bin, and the cycle repeats until the container gets full.
Getting the best residential ice maker before you even need it is something you will never regret if you are fond of hosting. Our review contains a few top-quality ice makers that you should consider getting. Any of the models in the review can be helpful to you when there is a high ice demand, and you are trying to cut back on electric use. There is no need not to have fun when you have so many ice maker options.