Last Updated on June 15, 2021
Buying ice can be a very costly and inconvenient affair. If you entertain guests/customers on a regular basis, then you need to get the best undercounter ice maker for your home or bar. You’ll come away with gourmet ice cubes that will cool your drink – not dilute its flavor. If you’re new to this, we’ve come up with a comprehensive buying guide for your benefit.
- 1 Best Undercounter Ice Maker for 2021 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
- 2 2. Manitowoc UYF 0301A Neo – Undercounter Ice Maker
- 2.1 3. Whynter UIM-555 Stainless Steel Built-In Undercounter Ice Maker
- 2.2 4. EdgeStar IB450SS Stainless Steel Undercounter Ice Maker – Most Customizable
- 2.3 5. Hoshizaki AM-50BAJ-AD ADA Air-Cooled Undercounter Ice Maker – Best Technology
- 2.4 6. Euhomy Commercial Undercounter Ice Maker with 100/33 lbs – Best for Commercial
- 2.5 7. U-Line UBI98 B00A Crescent Undercounter Ice Maker – Best for Private Bars
- 2.6 8. Smad Portable/Commercial Undercounter Ice Machine – Best for RVs
- 2.7 9. Costway Commercial Ice Machine: Automatic, Portable & Freestanding – Most Versatile
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Conclusion
Best Undercounter Ice Maker for 2021 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
To help you make your choices, we put together a list of the 10 best undercounter ice maker products in 2021. All of their specifications and important pointers have been listed down to help you make your choice.
1. Scotsman CU50GA 115V 14.4A Undercounter Ice Maker
- 64 lbs gourmet ice production capacity
- 26 lbs gourmet ice storage capacity
- Water Quality sensor & control system
- User-Friendly control panel
- Stainless Steel exterior with gravity drain
If you’re looking for the best undercounter ice maker, then the Scotsman brand is definitely the right place to start looking. The CU50GA is a fantastic little addition to any home. You will love the quality of the ice cubes, and like us, you’ll also love the huge 26 lbs storage size it offers. The ice cubes are large and they last for a long time. This machine’s water quality sensor will give you a constant supply of fresh ice.
- The ice produced by the Scotsman is bigger and of better quality.
- 26 lbs storage size of the CU50GA is impressive.
- The 15” cabinet is compact and easy to install.
- Its control panel comes with lots of reminders.
- The CU50GA can be noisy when you discharge ice from it.
2. Manitowoc UYF 0301A Neo – Undercounter Ice Maker
- 290 lbs gourmet ice production capacity
- 100 lbs gourmet ice storage capacity
- Full display LED control panel
- Width of 30” with 6 legs
- Gravity drain included
The Manitowoc UYF 0301A Neo is a high-quality premium undercounter ice maker that can churn out 290 lbs of ice every day. It also has a storage capacity of 100 lbs, making it the ice maker of choice if you entertain frequently. This unit comes with a gravity drain and elevated legs, making it easy to clean and maintain. We think you’ll also appreciate the quiet power of this ice maker. There are a lot of different ice cube types as well.
- The production capacity of the UYF 0301A is breathtaking.
- 100 lbs storage capacity can come in very handy.
- The design of the ice maker makes it easy to clean.
- It’s one of the quietest undercounter ice makers available in the market.
- The 30” ice maker width makes it difficult to install.
3. Whynter UIM-555 Stainless Steel Built-In Undercounter Ice Maker
- 12 lbs gourmet ice production capacity
- 6 lbs gourmet ice storage capacity
- One-Touch button control system
- Powerful and CFC-free compressor
- Freestanding & front-venting model with no drain
If your budget isn’t that big and you want a simple yet powerful ice maker, then the Whynter UIM-555 is a fantastic choice. With a storage capacity of 6 lbs and a daily production ceiling of 12 lbs, this is a fantastic addition to any kitchen. The machine makes crescent-shaped ice, which lasts for a long time in drinks. We love the fact that this machine doesn’t need a drain. It also comes with a simple one-touch operation.
- This compact ice maker can produce 12 lbs of ice daily.
- The ice cubes are crescent-shaped and of very high quality.
- Front-venting, freestanding design of the ice maker is very good.
- The Whynter UIM-555 is easy to install.
- Debris enters the ice machine if you don’t use a filter.
4. EdgeStar IB450SS Stainless Steel Undercounter Ice Maker – Most Customizable
- 50 lbs gourmet ice production capacity
- 25 lbs gourmet ice storage capacity
- Computerized ice maker control system
- Reversible door and leveling legs
- Stainless steel exterior & design
This is an elegantly designed unit that will be a perfect addition to your kitchen. It has a width of 15 inches, which means you can use it as a freestanding or as a built-in ice maker. It has a daily ice production capacity of 50 lbs, and it can store more than 25 lbs of ice at any time. We were very impressed by the reversible door and leveling legs, which support the IBS450SS ice maker’s built-in gravity drain.
- The production capacity of 50 lbs/day is good for most.
- Its reversible door and leveling legs make it easy to clean.
- The 15” size makes it ideal for freestanding/built-in kitchens.
- The stainless steel is stylish and hardy.
- Ice comes out in sheets, which are hard to break into cubes.
5. Hoshizaki AM-50BAJ-AD ADA Air-Cooled Undercounter Ice Maker – Best Technology
- 51 lbs gourmet ice production capacity
- 22 lbs gourmet ice storage capacity
- Single-phase 115V with NEMA 5-15 plug
- Air-Cooled and Self-Contained ADA Compressor
- NSF compliant
The Hoshizaki AM-50BAJ-AD is a stunning piece of Japanese technologyand is one of the most high-quality undercounter ice makers in the market. If you want the best undercounter ice maker for hard water, then the AM-50BAJ-AD features an air-cooled compressor that will give you energy-efficient and memorable performance. You’ll get top hat ice cubes, which we really like. You can use the Hoshizaki ice maker outdoors as well, because of its 22 lbs storage capacity and gravity drain.
- The Hoshizaki is a compact machine that is easy to install.
- The self-contained ADA compressor provides a fuel-efficient cooling solution.
- AM-50BAJ-AD provides top hat ice cubes of high quality.
- This 22 lbs ice maker can be used outdoors also.
- The Hoshizaki AM-50BAJ-AD is a very noisy undercounter ice maker.
6. Euhomy Commercial Undercounter Ice Maker with 100/33 lbs – Best for Commercial
- 100 lbs gourmet ice production capacity
- 33 lbs gourmet ice storage capacity
- Copper and nickel ice tray with adjustable sizes
- One-Click cleaning system
- Adjustable feet
If you’re looking for the best undercounter ice maker for your business – such as a food truck or cafe, then the Euhomy is the best product that you can choose. This is a powerful workhorse that can provide you with 45 diamond-shaped ice cubes every 11 minutes. The machine can provide you with 100 lbs of ice daily. It also has a storage capacity of 33 lbs. It has nice drainage and self-cleaning option as well.
- This ice maker is the perfect choice for commercial needs.
- The self-cleaning feature of the Euhomy is a godsend.
- It can make 45 ice cubes in only 11 minutes.
- The Euhomy ice maker comes equipped with an LCD control panel.
- This ice maker is unsuitable for outdoor use.
7. U-Line UBI98 B00A Crescent Undercounter Ice Maker – Best for Private Bars
- 23 lbs gourmet ice production capacity
- 12 lbs gourmet ice storage capacity
- Reversible door and stainless steel exterior
- 3-gallon manual water reservoir
- Portable and quiet compressor
If you have a small and cozy private bar in your home, you’ll need a stylish ice maker that goes with the overall decor. With its sleek black exterior and 12 lbs storage capacity, this ice maker is the best choice for private bars. We were impressed with the manual water reservoir feature, which holds 3 gallons of water. It can provide you with 23 lbs of ice in a day and also comes with a reversible door.
- The black and stainless steel exterior is very beautiful.
- It comes with a manual water reservoir with a 3-gallon capacity.
- It has a reversible door and is compliant with ADA.
- This ice-maker operates at a consistent temperature of 50°F.
- U-Line has great ice makers but their customer service is lacking.
8. Smad Portable/Commercial Undercounter Ice Machine – Best for RVs
- 12 lbs gourmet ice production capacity
- 6 lbs gourmet ice storage capacity
- Fast and easy installation guide
- Ideal for mobile homes & RVs
- Freestanding, Built-In & Stand Alone Compatible
The Smad undercounter ice maker is a portable machine that is just perfect for your RV. If you love going on road trips with your family, then you need to get to equip your RV kitchen with this amazing undercounter ice machine. It is very easy to install and can store roughly 6 lbs of ice. The ice formation in this machine is very quick – we got lots of ice chips only 15 minutes after we first switched it on.
- The ice maker is affordable and provides good service.
- The Smad undercounter ice maker provides 12 gallons/ice every day.
- The unit is insulated and can work as a temporary freezer also.
- It is extremely easy to install in your home/RV.
- It needs to be defrosted very frequently.
9. Costway Commercial Ice Machine: Automatic, Portable & Freestanding – Most Versatile
This is the most versatile and affordable freestanding undercounter ice machine we could find. It has a reasonable price and is capable of producing 88 lbs of ice every day. It also has a bin that can store 8.8 lbs of ice. This may not be very much, but it makes the Costway ice machine ideal for all commercial use. Provided you have access to a water supply and a simple gravity drain, this ice machine can be installed anywhere.
- The Costway undercounter ice maker can make 88 lbs of ice daily.
- The freestanding design of the ice maker makes it easy to install.
- The LCD control panel is easy to operate as well.
- It has an 8.8 lbs storage bin as well.
- Connecting the water supply can prove rather difficult.
Here are some of the most important factors that you need to consider when you shop for the best undercounter ice maker for your kitchen, bar, or living room. These will help you to narrow down your choices and figure out exactly what kind of machine it is you want.
Ice Production Rate
The ice production rate is the total amount of ice that the machine is capable of producing within a 24-hour period. Most ice makers for homes have a production rate that ranges from 20-40 lbs. You need to think about how much ice you need on a daily/weekly basis before you purchase an ice maker.
Ice Storage Capacity
Standard undercounter ice makers are capable of storing ice as well. If you are having guests over, you’ll need to store some ice for later use. Pick an ice maker that has a healthy storage capacity of 10 lbs or more. You can also pick the Manitowoc UYF0301A, which has a storage capacity of 100 lbs.
When you’re shopping for the best undercounter ice maker for hard water, you need to think about the drain options as well. Most undercounter models come with a drain pump or a gravity drain. In our opinion, you’ll do better if you pick a model with a gravity drain. These are easier to install, maintain, and clean.
Size & Installation Ease
You’ll see that most ice makers have a width of 15”, which means that they can easily fit under the counter. However, you need to consider the depth of the body as well. The overall ease of installation is also very important.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who makes the best undercounter ice maker?
The Scotsman CU50GA is the best undercounter ice maker of 2021. It has a production capacity of 64 lbs. Scotsman is one of the best ice maker brands, and they have come up with some of the best products over the years.
What is the best undercounter ice maker for home use?
If you’re looking for an undercounter ice maker for use in your personal bar/home, then the U-Line UBI98 B00A Crescent Undercounter Ice Maker is the best choice. Their cost and specifications make them ideal for homes.
How do I choose an undercounter ice maker?
While you’re shopping, you need to take into account the production and storage capacity of the machine. You also need to give some thought to the size of the machine, as well as the cost, drain options, and ease of installation.
This is basically everything you need to know if you want to buy the best undercounter ice maker for your home or bar. Please go through the buying guide carefully and then check the top 10 recommendations for the best products of 2021.