Last Updated on December 17, 2020
nICE Coolers cost about half the price of an expensive unit of Yeti. Despite this, you’ll be surprised to know that it comes with a rotomolded build construction. This technology is currently the gold standard when it comes to making ice stay ice longer.
In this nICE Cooler review, we’ll round up all the information there is to know about this brand of coolers. We’ll help you make sure you know exactly what you’re paying for if you decide to buy this cooler instead of a more expensive brand. To get the best value for the hard-earned money you are about to spend, it is imperative that you take a closer look at what’s inside a nICE ice chest, how it will perform, and if you can expect it to last.
- 1 About nICE Coolers
- 2 Must-See Performance And nICE Coolers
- 3 What You Need To Know When Shopping for nICE Coolers
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4.1 Q: Are nICE Coolers Any Good?
- 4.2 Q: How Do nICE Coolers Compare To A Yeti?
- 4.3 Q: How Many Cans Can Fit In A nICE 75qt Cooler?
- 4.4 Q: How Long Can nICE Coolers Retain Dry Ice?
- 4.5 Q: What Accessories Will Be Practical To Add To nICE Coolers?
- 4.6 Q: Can I Get A Defective Unit Replaced?
- 4.7 Q: How Are Rotomolded Coolers Better Than Others?
- 5 Conclusion
About nICE Coolers
nICE Coolers is a brand of ice chests from the manufacturers of outdoor lifestyle essentials. Formerly sold under the name, “Meadowcraft” coolers, this brand is committed to provide you with all the possible conveniences so you can create the best experience and memories from all of your most happening outdoor adventures. Similarly, the brand’s website reads, “nICE is the official sponsor of having a good time”.
The makers of nICE Coolers are also well-known for their Cannon insulated tumblers and water bottles.
So, what makes this brand of icebox special? Keep reading further down to find out.
Rotomolded And Certified Bear-Resistant
nICE Coolers come only in solid casing. In other words, all models are made using rotomolding build engineering. Each one is designed to be the ideal outdoor companion to keep cold stuff cold, and warm stuff warm, even as you splurge on time out in the open.
All nICE Coolers are Certified Bear Resistant by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee, just like other highly acclaimed brands of coolers are. So, what does a Bear Resistant certification mean to you? It is a testament that your cooler is capable of withstanding aggressive use. Moreover, it is a guarantee that the cooler will not be damaged when accidentally smashed. With this toughness check also comes a content security guarantee. It wouldn’t just budge and cause the contents to become scattered all over.
With Or Without Interchangeable Wheels
In general, all nICE Coolers may be categorized into G2 and G3 which do not exactly mean anything specific but, there’s a major difference. Although you can take these to mean “Generation 2” and “Generation 3”.
The G2 Coolers lineup consists of older makes and models of nICE Coolers. On the other hand, G3 Coolers consist of newer models that come with interchangeable wheels. So, what this means is that you don’t just derive the convenience of being able to move around your stuff while keeping things handy and hassle-free. G3 coolers also come with wheels that you can change or replace depending on the terrain you expect.
Firstly, there are the default wheels. These wheels are the ones that automatically comes with a G3 Cooler purchase. Secondly, you also have the option to upgrade to or keep spare sets of Multi-Terrain Wheels or Inflatable Beach Wheels. This is a practical feature that you can’t easily find even when shopping premium brands like Orca Coolers or Pelican Coolers.
Must-See Performance And nICE Coolers
The best way to get to know nICE Coolers better is to take a closer look at 9 of the best product offerings from this brand. With a wide range of capacity and designs to choose from, there is surely a nICE ice chest that fits your very specific needs whenever you spend time out there in the wild or in your own backyard.
To start off, below is a bird’s eye view of nICE Coolers and their corresponding details. In addition, this table rounds up two of the most essential pieces of information you need to know. When shopping for coolers, regardless if it’s this brand or something else, there are two key physical features you want to find out first, these are, dimensions, and empty weight. Capacity would have been a handy information but, unfortunately, these are not specified for nICE Coolers.
The table below sums up these features including whether or not the unit comes with or without wheels, for all 9 products included in this nICE Cooler review:
1. nICE Cooler 20qt
- Easy-grip, heavy-duty aluminum handle
- 30-can capacity
- Built-in bottle opener, ruler, and cup holders
- Friction pads
- Double-walled insulation and roto-molded build
Built for toughness, the nICE 20 qt Cooler goes way beyond a personal cooler with a capacity for up to 30 cans of storage. High-grade insulation is made to make ice last for up to 8 days. In addition, t-shaped anchor locks keep your food and drinks securely locked.
This is the smallest size of all the nICE Coolers included in this review. If you like going on fishing trips and day trips with a companion or two, this cooler will be just the right kind and size of cooler to take on a day out with you.
- Roto-molded and double-walled insulation helps keep out and coldness in.
- The material is capable of holding dry ice safely.
- Built-in features help save more money otherwise spent on upgrading accessories.
- This model is available in four colors.
- Side plugs make draining and cleaning hassle-free.
- Generally, nICE Coolers for sale may not be the best product for several days of camping.
- Owners of this unit have raised concerns over t-latches that break easily.
- This unit may not provide the capacity to support the whole family.
- There are several reports of the drain plug coming off easily
2. nICE Cooler 22qt
- .5 inches of stainless steel handle
- Heavy-duty rubber t-latches for security
- Made with food-grade materials
- Dry ice compatible
- Non-skid feet
nICE Coolers are constructed using rotomolding technology, including this model. It also comes with basic features offered by this brand of coolers, such as max-flow drain plug, integrated fish ruler and bottle opener, and bottom friction pads to keep the cooler in place.
Moreover, you can safely use dry ice with this unit to keep the contents cold longer. Furthermore, you also get built-in conveniences such as reinforced hinges, strength-built rubber latches, cup holders, and locks to keep contents secure.
- It comes with several built-in features.
- Added functionalities save you more money than spending on accessories.
- This is more inexpensive than its competitors, considering build and capacity.
- Easy to clean, maintain, and store.
- Anti-skid bottom features keep the product in place.
- Limited internal space leaves less room for the contents.
- This product is relatively heavy vs other ice chests.
- Supports a limited number of users, for which the nICE 75 qt cooler may be more suitable.
3. nICE Cooler 26qt
- Integrated bottle openers
- Built-in cup holders, ruler, and cutting board
- Heavy-duty latches and metal lock plate
- Heavy-duty, easy-grip handle
- Pressure release valve
nICE Coolers come with a pressure release valve that keeps handling the lid easily and also protects the unit from unnecessary damage caused by a buildup of internal pressure. Additionally, built-in drain plugs make cleaning easy and hassle-free.
Moreover, this cooler provides slightly more space than the 20qt and 22qt coolers. Although, it may still not be able to support an entire family for a remote all-day picnic activity. This unit may be able to hold some of the stuff you want to take with you but, the space will likely not be enough to hold everything from your salads, meats, and beverages.
- This nICE ice chest offers enough space for a day trip for two in the beach.
- Drain plug makes cleaning fast and easy.
- Pressure valves help keep interiors cold and lid easy to open.
- Heavy-duty parts support carefree use and promote lasting performance.
- This product is available in different colors.
- A nICE Cooler review of this model pointed out that it may hold ice well but not for extended hours.
- It can be heavy and not so convenient to handle for long outdoor walks.
- Limited space to support you and one or two companies only.
4. nICE Cooler 45qt
- Heavy-duty t-shaped latches keep contents secure
- Built-in bottle opener, fish ruler, cutting board, and cup holders
- Anti-skid friction pads keep unit in place
- Double-walled insulation improves ice retention
- Dry ice compatible
Just like other nICE Coolers, this model comes with useful, integrated features. As a result, you end up saving money you could have ended up spending to acquire accessories. That means, more built-in functionalities that are ready to be taken on an outdoor test drive — as soon as you get your cooler delivered or out of the shop if you want to.
Built-in drain plugs also make it easy to clean up after the trip or after a backyard picnic. Therefore, there’s absolutely no need to turn the unit upside down to achieve the level of clean you’re aiming for.
- No sweat dry construction keeps moisture in.
- Built-in accessories means more savings for you.
- Integrated t-shaped anchor locks keep contents secure.
- Easy-grip and heavy-duty handles protect against sudden snaps.
- Drain plugs make cleaning easy and hassle-free.
- Most buyers’ complaints point to t-locks breaking.
- It may not be able to retain ice for several days under less ideal conditions.
5. nICE Cooler 75qt
- Built-in locks
- Integrated accessories: bottle opener, fish ruler, cutting board
- Comes with 2 self-draining cupholders
- Friction pads keep unit in place
- Double-walled insulation and roto-molded build
This time, this is a midway-sized nICE ice chest that is definitely designed to help store contents for a family outing. Firstly, it can hold more items inside. Secondly, the engineering and build make this model able to retain ice longer.
Furthermore, it is dry ice compatible which makes it a good cooler for fishing, camping, and hiking because dry ice lasts longer. When ideal use and conditions are observed, this cooler will be able to keep ice and contents cold overnight and even up to several days after. Most importantly, nICE 75 qt cooler is also sold in another variant that comes with a pair of wheels.
- It is an inexpensive alternative to considerably pricier rotomolded brands.
- It provides more space for everything that everyone in the family can’t live without.
- A quick drain system is included so cleaning is fast and easy.
- Integrated accessories add instant function and more savings.
- Under ideal conditions, it can hold ice for up to 8 days.
- Some buyers may find the accessories to be not as tough as the build.
- Mindful handling of the nICE 75 qt cooler drain plug may also be necessary.
- Muscle work from more than 1 person may be required to move it around.
6. nICE Wheeled Cooler 52qt
- Comes with oversized, interchangeable wheels
- 5 to 8 days of ice retention
- Built-in lid with clasp to secure contents
- Integrated cup holders and drain plug
- Double-walled insulation improves ice life
Available in Beige, Gray, Seafoam, and White, with a nICE Wheeled Cooler 52qt, you won’t have to struggle when moving or transporting your stuff. Besides providing more space than a nICE 75 qt cooler, this cooler permits you to bring more of everything you need to have an awesome time outdoors. After all, your next great adventure will be more fun with more happy company.
For extended family outings, this cooler can keep drinks and frozen goods frozen until it’s time to take them out or pack up and be homebound. Simply follow basic tips so that your cooler maintains ideal conditions to improve ice retention capability.
- Of all the nICE Coolers with wheels, this one provides the smallest capacity for your medium-sized outdoor needs.
- It comes with a foldable handle to keep it out of the way when parked and in use.
- Built-in fish ruler and cutting board also makes it ideal for fishing and remote picnics.
- Equipped with anti-skid feet to keep it from sliding.
- Heavy-duty built-in wheels further make all-terrain transport easy.
- Stock-outs appear to be common for this item.
- More space may be required for parties above 5 people.
7. nICE Wheeled Cooler 110qt
- Comes with a pair of all-terrain wheels
- Heavy-duty 2-flex grip handle
- Integrated friction pads keep the product from skidding
- Built-in bottle opener and self-draining plug
- 6-10 days ice retention under ideal conditions
One of several nICE Coolers designed for big groups, this one is also intended to keep contents fresh for 1 week and possibly over. It comes with a rotomolded and double insulated body that keeps heat out so that your ice can last longer.
Moreover, you won’t ever have to worry about flexing your muscles just to move this ice chest around. That’s because it comes with two heavy-duty, oversized wheels so that you can have peace of mind no matter when you feel like another epic adventure is due.
- This ice chest can pack everything you need for an offsite party for family and more.
- The heavy-duty wheels provide add portability despite the size.
- Interchangeable wheels give you the option to change them depending on where you’re headed.
- Bottom friction pads keep the cooler still and steady.
- Compatible with dry ice which has longer retention capability vs. ordinary ice.
- User reports of latches breaking are common.
- Ice retention remains dependent on the manner of use and environmental factors.
- It may still not be as easy to move around as a trolley.
8. nICE Wheeled Cooler 120L
- Integrated wheels for portability and transport
- Rotomolded and double insulation improve ice retention
- Over 10 days of ice retention possible under ideal conditions
- Integrated lid locks for security and to keep heat out
- Heavy-duty handles built for heavy-duty use
This biggie is another one of those nICE Coolers that are constructed with your convenience in mind. Simply say, “No” to lifting heavy ice chests. With this wheeled cooler, you won’t ever have to run the risk of breaking your back again.
Equally important is that you’ll be getting rotomolded ice chest technology at this capacity for just a fraction of the cost it may cost you when buying a YETI. While this cooler is of premium quality, it does not belong to the top of the shelf brands out there.
- More affordable than other premium brands offering rotomolded coolers.
- This unit is capable of retaining ice for more than a week.
- It comes with all-terrain wheels which, therefore, adds to ease of mobility.
- nICE Cooler 120qt with wheels is made for entertaining big groups.
- Anti-skid bottoms keep the unit from slipping.
- Some level of care may be necessary to make drain plugs and latches last longer.
- Ice retention capability may vary under real-world conditions.
9. nICE Wheeled Cooler 140L
- 10 or more days of ice retention possible under ideal conditions
- Rotomolded construction and double insulated walls
- Integrated latches, locks, and drain plugs
- Comes with wheels, 2 cup holders, and other built-in accessories
- Heavy-duty handles support unit size and weight well
By far, this is the largest model of all in this nICE cooler review. Certainly, the size and capacity permit you to conveniently entertain at any location away from home for up to several days. Moreover, built-in accessories such as cup holders, bottle openers, and cutting board help add to the functionality and, on your part, ease of getting started in your remote kitchen.
Most importantly, there’s no more worrying about how you’ll feed 50+ people in a camp or your family and a number of guests for several days outdoors. When you have this unit, you can simply tuck these worries away because storage becomes the least of your problems.
- Extra-large capacity makes entertaining big groups convenient and easy.
- Wheeled design makes transport easy.
- Integrated lid locks also keep contents secure and away from surrounding heat.
- Compatibility with dry ice makes keeping contents cold for days more possible.
- Drain plugs make cleaning and maintenance fast and effortless.
- Large build may still require more hands to move it around despite of wheels.
- Some level of care may still be required so that accessories such as drain plugs can last.
What You Need To Know When Shopping for nICE Coolers
After going through the best of the best product offerings from nICE Coolers, you may now be either amazed or skeptical about the quality of this icebox. Admittedly, this cooler isn’t flawless but it can be the best one out there for you if it complements you well.
While nICE Coolers may come with a long list of plus points, there are some compromises you’ll have to learn to live with. Although, that’s a reality you’re going to have to accept when you’re shopping for any brand of cooler at all. When shopping for nICE Coolers, there are a handful of things to keep in mind to make sure your spend will be worth it.
Compared to high-end brands like Grizzly, Yeti, or Orca, nICE Coolers is a budget brand of coolers. In other words, buying one over premium-priced brands will instantly save you hundreds of dollars just by choosing it. There are some compromises but those are mostly bearable for all regular needs and uses for coolers. That is to say unless otherwise, you are buying a cooler for extended trips to remote locations.
Of course, there are reasons why other brands may be pricier. But, the top reason is that you are buying the brand name itself. Also, your money helps pay for marketing costs. However, this is not to say that quality does not follow. It does. However, you should definitely consider nICE Coolers when you’re after quality that is budget-friendly at the same time.
From keeping contents cold for an entire day, coolers have morphed to an entirely different level. Most importantly, iceboxes are now capable of ice retention that lasts for several weeks.
Although, the real question is if you have any need for that kind of ice chest capability at all. In other words, why do you need an expensive, top of the line cooler brand that can maintain icy cold interiors for up to 2 weeks? Besides, estimates like this are always made under the most ideal conditions which is not quite the case when your cooler is out in the open.
If you go to extremes and spend a lot of extended time outdoors then, you’ll benefit from investing in the best of class coolers in the market. However, if the most time that you spend camping out is overnight or, if you need one for your frequent backyard grilling then, you may be better off with a cooler built for performance but comes at a much cheaper price, like nICE Coolers.
Design And Construction
In any case, you should never compromise on the quality of the product that you’re buying. nICE Coolers cost less but deliver the same rotomolded construction that premium cooler brands boast of. Additionally, nICE Coolers are also built using double-wall insulation. The combination of these features help make ice last longer.
On the other hand, ordinary coolers still traditionally built, cannot compete at this level of performance. However, if you intend to use your cooler only when shopping for wet goods, you really don’t have to shop top of the line. You just need something with a functional storage to keep your frozen goods fresh and cold until you get home.
Transport And Portability
When shopping for nICE Coolers, how you plan to transport it and if you need to move it remotely at all, even in your backyard, should definitely be considered.
Firstly, nICE Coolers come in G2 and G3 models. So, if you think you need more help moving it around or if you require a unit with bigger capacity, think about getting G3 models that come with integrated wheels. In here’s just absolutely no contest to the comfort and convenience that the added mobility and portability provided for by wheeled coolers bring.
Secondly, if you’re planning to transport your cooler to the beach or to a campsite, think about your ride. Check if it fits your trunk or the backseat if that’s where you want to put it. You wouldn’t want to find out later that you actually don’t have space in your ride to transport a mega-sized 140qt cooler. While you may not have any problem fitting all the stuff you need, you’ll definitely have an issue getting your cooler and its contents from your home to Point B.
Most premium, rotomolded cooler brands will offer you a basic unit, that is, rid of all accessories. This is one strategy expensive brands take to bring down the cost of their coolers. However, buyers soon find themselves compelled to buy several accessories separately and end up paying even more.
With nICE Coolers, functionality has been well thought out in the concept, design, and build phase. As a result, you get beyond basic features such as integrated cup holders, fish ruler, cutting board, and anti-skid bottom rubbers with every purchase.
Most of all, it’s hard not to stress that you got your unit at the fraction of what a Yeti would cost. In addition, you also get to enjoy valuable add-ons to go with it. Now, that’s really nice, isn’t it?
Cleaning And Maintenance
This nICE cooler review wouldn’t be complete without discussing this very important consideration. Well, since keeping your cooler in tiptop shape requires regular cleaning and maintenance to last, it’s always important to have a closer look at how easy or difficult it is to get these two tasks done.
The integrated drain plug is a big plus for this purpose. As a result, it leaves no more room to struggle with flipping your cooler upside down just to turn it into a squeaky clean condition. You can even easily clean up while still in camp and not need to sweat it out at all.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are nICE Coolers Any Good?
A: nICE Coolers offer performance ice chests that let you rally the extra mile. It’s definitely made to deliver optimal results and keep your stuff cold longer than your run-of-the-mill coolers ever can. There are some minor compromises and may perform at a slightly lower level than premium, top of shelf brands.
However, nICE Coolers provide excellent storage for a fraction of the cost. Generally, for the price point, performance is beyond acceptable. Still, you’ll have to consider other factors, including your intended use, to make sure that you get the best value for your money.
Q: How Do nICE Coolers Compare To A Yeti?
A: YETI Coolers are the pioneers when it comes roto-molded coolers. Since this design and engineering technology was introduced in the cooler market, it quickly became the gold standard in this niche. This piece of cooler history also explains why Yeti can afford to command a high market price for its products.
When it comes to design and build alone, nICE Coolers are definitely at par with a Yeti. This brand of coolers is also made using the roto-molding construction process which leaves a very nil chance for any temperature exchange to happen between the heat from the surroundings and the coolness of the interiors. In effect, results are very similar.
Both brands also offer units with wheels to up your comfort and convenience. In contrast, where nICE Coolers probably beat Yeti is in terms of the add-on accessories and integrated features. For instance, all nICE Coolers are already equipped with 2 cup holders which you’ll have to purchase separately with a Yeti.
However, in terms of ice retention, a Yeti still performs better than a nICE Cooler. Although, that fact only becomes relevant if you’re planning to stay outdoors for an extended period of time. If the most outdoor time you do is overnight or over the weekends then, nICE Coolers will definitely perform well beyond your basic expectations of what a cooler should be and should do.
Q: How Many Cans Can Fit In A nICE 75qt Cooler?
A: One concern with nICE Coolers is that product descriptions do not provide an estimate of the unit capacity like most other cooler brands normally do. So, if you are planning on getting a nICE 75qt Cooler, you should know that any true to size 75qt cooler should be able to fit 110 regular-sized soda or beer cans.
That is the no ice estimate. So, if you want to follow at least a 1:1 ratio of contents to ice, then that would be about 55 cans conveniently chilled inside. That’s good enough number for an overnight family camping trip or, an outdoor grill with the family and a handful of relatives and friends.
Q: How Long Can nICE Coolers Retain Dry Ice?
A: How long dry ice stays cool inside depends on many factors. For instance, the cooler size and the ratio of contents to ice will affect how long it will last. There are ways to extend the life of your dry ice so that your drinks stay ice cold longer. Follow these tips:
- Freeze food and drinks you want to stay frozen before putting these inside the cooler
- Refrain from frequently opening and closing the lid
- Keep your cooler under the shade at all times
- Don’t leave your cooler inside a parked vehicle
- Keep your cooler raised off the ground at all times
- Add more ice than contents or, at least maintain a 1:1 ratio
Q: What Accessories Will Be Practical To Add To nICE Coolers?
A: Generally, everything you need to enjoy beyond basic cooler functionalities are already integrated with your basic cooler purchase. If you own a wheeled cooler, then the best accessories you can buy are spare wheels that are available in Multi-Terrain Wheels or Inflatable Beach Wheels. These are replaceable so use whatever is appropriate wherever your next adventure takes you.
For added security, most especially if you ordinarily leave your cooler on your truck, you may want to consider getting anchor latches. These provide added security for your cooler and the contents inside. nICE Coolers also make quality, insulated tumblers. You may want to add a Cannon tumbler so you can take one with you on your next trip.
Q: Can I Get A Defective Unit Replaced?
A: All purchases come with a manufacturer one-year warranty. Meanwhile, buyers who have encountered any problem with their units have left positive feedback concerning the quality and efficiency of customer service received. Nonetheless, the manufacturer reserves the right to replace any unit or parts thereof and usually depending on the cause of damage incurred.
Q: How Are Rotomolded Coolers Better Than Others?
A: Roto-molded coolers use a relatively new and innovative construction process. In simpler terms, this technology uses continuous pouring of liquid plastic on the mold. As a result, a seamless product that effectively prevents heat exchange between the interiors and the surroundings is produced. So, cold contents stay cold and ice stays as ice over longer periods.
Most importantly, roto molded coolers are the current gold standard in cooler build and construction. That’s primarily due to the extended ice retention capability it has made possible. Today, roto-molded coolers can retain ice for up to several weeks., a new level of performance never before made possible with older, more traditional cooler designs.
With a performance comparable to a premium and expensive cooler brand, certainly, there is room for nICE Coolers in your list of mandatory must-check coolers prior to actual purchase. Meanwhile, you cannot ignore the fact that this cooler brand can save you hundreds of bucks vs. paying for a much more expensive brand that provides the same storage capacity anyway.
Moreover, with nICE Coolers, one of the added benefits you get from your purchase are the integrated features that provide more convenience, functionality, and security at no added cost. Therefore, these open up more potential for saving you a few more precious dollars on purchasing some basic but necessary accessories separately.
However, these coolers do not come without shortcomings. Frequent buyer complaints regarding accessories coming off and poorer ice retention than a premium brand like Yeti may make you think twice before buying from this brand. Despite this, the real question boils down to your intended use. How long do you really “need” your ice to last?
In conclusion, nICE Coolers may not perform optimally at the level that a Yeti or Orion Cooler would. But, if you want to save your ice for an entire day, 24 hours, or a few more days after, there’s absolutely no reason why nICE Coolers shouldn’t be able to cater to your needs. Overall, for the level of investment, buying from this brand will definitely be worth every penny.